Islamic Foundation has a social services and charity fund committees that have been serving the needy for more than 30 years.
Zakat and Sadaqa funds are distributed to the needy with the consensus of the committee, which meets on a regular basis. The assistance is provided on a case-by-case basis, and members of the committee have a daunting task of assessing and evaluating one’s financial, familial, emotional and physical status in order to determine the proper level of need. Individual needs vary from financial stresses due to extremely limited income (e.g., on FDS cash, food stamps assistance, SSI, or low paying jobs) and expenses that become overwhelming in many cases.
Assistance and services include :
- A referral to a physician (for free or reduced expenses), psychiatrist, or attorney as need dictates.
- Writing letters to hospitals, physicians, and clinics when medical bills are excessive and patients have no means to pay them. Our intention is to reduce or have the bills completely written off.
- Sponsoring Eid parties for children and families who do not have the means to celebrate these holidays. Children receive cash gifts so they can enjoy the Eid holiday. Transportation arrangements are made for families to attend these special occasions.
- Participate in outreach dinners to feed non-Muslim individuals and families to spread the goodwill of the Muslim community. Various members of the Social Services Committee handle the meat collection on Eid-ul-Adha to distribute to the needy in the community.
Other ways we help :
- Payment of rent, utility bills
- Training for employment (sewing, janitorial services, etc.)
- Employment and job search assistance
- Providing shelter and help for victims of domestic violence
- Summer camps for the needy children
- Eid Open House for needy families
- Distribution of Fitra money on Eid-ul-Fitr; meat donations on Eid-ul-Adha
- Learning of English and Quran classes
- Helping immigrants in the citizenship process
- Providing fans, heaters, furniture, household items, etc.
The work in the Social Services Committee is always challenging and demanding. Members must attend regular meetings and provide their input in assessing the true need of the applicants seeking financial assistance. Worthy members must have the will, pure intentions, and a deep desire to help the needy in our community. We encourage you to join us in this worthy cause.
Chairman of Social Services Committee, Adil Imdad